Get to know Notre Dame Music.
Electives in the Music Department include Mixed Chorus, Concert Choir, Treble Choir, Men’s Choir, Band, Music Theory, and Music: An Artistic Expression.
- Mixed Chorus strives to introduce the student to the fundamentals of voice production, to develop music reading skill and to provide experience in group singing. Mixed Chorus presents a Christmas Concert in December and performs at the Pop Concert in May.
- Concert Choir, Men’s Choir, and Treble Choir require a successful audition before enrollment in the class. The Choirs compete each year at the District and State Musical Festivals. Choirs also perform at school events: Liturgy, home sporting events, assemblies, Commencement, Pop Concert and Christmas Concert. Soloists and ensembles have the opportunity to compete at the District and State Music Festivals. Soloists audition for the All-District Honor Choir in the Fall with finalists going on to the All-State Honor Choir. Juniors and Seniors audition for the Murray State University Quad State Honor Choir with many going on to perform with the Quad State Choir in Murray, KY. Male vocalists take part in the Men’s Choral Festival at Southeast Missouri State in the Fall.
- Band requires prior instrumental experience in a performing or concert band. The Band competes each year at the District and State Music Festivals. The Band presents a concert in December and May and performs at Commencement. Soloists and ensembles also have the opportunity to compete at the District and State Music Festivals.
- Music Theory and Music: An Artistic Expression are offered as three hours of dual enrollment at Southeast Missouri State University.
Students are given numerous opportunities outside the classroom to showcase their talents.
- Encore is an after-school club that meets to promote the humanities.
- Tri-M Music Honor Society is designed to recognize students for their academic and musical achievements, reward them for their accomplishments and service activities, and to inspire other students to excel at music and leadership.
- Select Singers promotes all genre of music with emphasis on acapella singing and vocal jazz. The Select Singers are the musical ambassadors for Notre Dame. This group of students performs for special events, assemblies, fundraisers and Liturgies. Vocalists are chosen by the Department Chair.
- Pep Band helps generate excitement and enhance school spirit at athletic competitions and pep assemblies. They also made a guest appearance at the Show-Me Center for a Southeast Missouri State Redhawks basketball game. This band is open to all students who can play a musical instrument and rehearses after school.
- Spring Musical offers an opportunity for students to showcase their talent. Music students can often be found on the stage in these productions.
Notre Dame has a long tradition in musical theater! The annual musical tradition was started in 1966 with the production of The Sound of Music and continues to be successful means of involving 50 to 75% of the student body in a wide variety of performance and practical life- skills activities. The production is self-supporting- ticket sales pay for the cost of the production. The ad and patron drive associated with the musicals provides a sales opportunity that is open to the entire school. The profits from this drive continue to support the general operating budget of the school.