Any aspiring artist must first have an understanding of the basic principles of art.
- This is where Art Fundamentals comes in. This class is for first year art students and will teach the students to creatively display their feelings on paper, wood, or canvas.
- After this class has been taken the student will have a wide range of options such as: Drawing, Painting, World Art, 3D Design, and Photoshop.
- Third and Fourth year art students are allowed to take Advanced Art where the Bible is integrated into every project and students are given freedom to create their visions using whatever medium they choose.
- Our art room expanded and a studio was added in 2012.
- The art rooms have a fully functional pottery wheel, two kilns, plenty of work space, frames, and any supplies the students will need while creating their masterpieces.
(CLICK ABOVE TO VIEW THE FLICKR ALBUM OF STUDENT ARTWORK)
National Art Honors Society or NAHS is a student run organization that recognizes students for art scholarship, service, and character.
- Inductions are held once a year.
- NAHS members host a "First Friday" walk around the art galleries in downtown Cape. Anyone is welcome to join.
- All Art students are encouraged to participate in the SEMO Art Exhibition by creating and entering their original works of art. Notre Dame regularly has students place in this contest.
Another aspect of our art program is volunteering.
- Students are encouraged to volunteer at many events throughout the year.
- Students (particularly those in NAHS) volunteer to paint faces at community events such as Messy Morning held at the Show Me Center.
- Students have painted various murals such as the Bobcat for St. Vincent's Grade School, the Notre Dame music room, the weight training room, and Mrs. Essner's classroom.
- Notre Dame Performing & Visual Arts also hosts an annual craft fair. Students assist local vendors as they set up their booths while also selling some of their own creations to benefit the school.